Don't have time to read the article? Watch it instead!
A retrofit will extend the service life and improve the performance of an older coordinate measurement machine (CMM) for a fraction of the cost of buying a new machine. More than just a software update, a CMM retrofit may involve replacing the controller, providing any relevant software upgrades, replacing measuring scales, rewiring, and more.
Unlike machine tools that are subject to heavy loads, CMMs don’t typically wear out. As a result, they often see many years of service. Their long service life means they tend to miss out on improvements incorporated into the latest models, such as higher speeds, easier programming, and increased accuracy.
Replacing a CMM is an expensive proposition, especially if it’s a larger machine sited in a temperature-controlled space. In addition to capital costs, removal of the old machine and installation of the replacement can disrupt production work for days or weeks. In contrast, a CMM retrofit kit can be installed on-site or at a professional rebuilder, providing a less disruptive way to get the benefits of a new machine at a lower cost.
Benefits of CMM Retrofitting
Retrofitting an older CMM provides users with:
- Reduced operating and ownership costs through less maintenance
- Higher speeds/shorter inspection times (which increases inspection capacity)
- Reduced measurement uncertainty
- Postponed replacement by adding years of life to an old machine
- Faster programming and set up when CMM retrofit software includes CMM Manager (another capacity increase)
- Enhanced and new measurement capabilities (especially when going from three to five axes)
- Lower training costs for new hires because updated software is easier to use
- Compliance with changing legislation and industry standards
CMM Retrofits at AIMS Metrology
Advanced Industrial Measurement Systems (AIMS) undertakes both CMM hardware and software retrofits and upgrades. These are available individually or as part of a retrofit package.
Retrofits may include new Renishaw scanning heads:
- PH20 – 5-axis touch-trigger head
- REVO – 5 – Axis Scanning for dimensional and surface finish measurement
- PH10 – Motorized indexing head
Other retrofit options include:
- Manual head retrofit
- Controller retrofit
Our options for CMM Retrofit software include:
- Software training at the AIMS facility
- Offsite software training at customer location
- Upgrade service to a newer version
Improve Performance and Save Money With a CMM Retrofit
Before committing to the purchase of a new CMM, explore options for a CMM retrofit. For a fraction of the cost, a quality retrofit can improve the speed and accuracy of your existing machine while adding many years to its life. AIMS offers CMM retrofit packages to suit all types of CMM machines.
Request a quote today or contact us to learn more.